Passport & Visa Information for USA

The following details relate to holders of adult normal passports (requirements for children may be different), if any other type of passport or travel document is held, entry requirements should be checked with the relevant embassy or consulate.


Required, but NOT by the following:
The following definitions shall be applicable to this part:
The United States means the continental United States, the state of Hawaii, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Canal zone, American Samoa, Guam and any other islands or territory over which the United States exercises jurisdiction
A United States citizen is not required to bear a valid passport to enter or depart the United States but must provide one of the following: Oral declaration, proof of United States citizenship (valid or expired United States passport, United States birth certificate, naturalisation certificate) & valid photo. Please note that an American citizen entering American Samoa requires a valid United States passport
a) When travelling directly between parts of the United States as defined above
b) When travelling between the United States and any country, territory or island adjacent thereto in North, South or Central America excluding Cuba, provided that this exception is not applicable to any such person when proceeding to or arriving from a place outside the United States for which a valid passport is required under this part if such travel is accomplished within 60 days of departure from the United States via any country or territory in North, South or Central America or any island adjacent thereto. From 08/01/07 ALL persons, including United States citizens, travelling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central & South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport 
Citizens of United States returning from a trip within the 'Americas' holding proof of identity, i.e. birth certificate or naturalisation papers
Alien residents returning from a stay outside United States of less than one year holding an Alien Registration Card (form I-551) or a valid re-entry permit
Holders of any official travel certificate issued by any United States diplomatic or consular representation
Canadian citizens who are entering the United States from a country in North, Central or South America or the adjacent islands who have valid photo ID or proof of citizenship
Bermudan citizens who are entering the United States from a country in North, Central or South America or the adjacent islands who have valid photo ID or proof of citizenship
Passport Validity: 

1) Passports of alien non-immigrant passengers must be valid 6 months from date of intended departure from the United States, however, the requirement is waived in the case of many nationalities. For further information, please visit the Embassy's website at

2) If travelling under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program with a passport valid for less than 90 days, the holder will be admitted into the United States only until the date on which the passport expires, except citizens of Andorra, Brunei Darussalam & San Marino who must be in possession of passports valid for at least 6 months from the date on which they depart the US, regardless of their proposed length of stay



The following DO NOT require a visa:
Nationals of United States
Citizens of Bermuda, Canada and Mexico see for further information
For stays up to 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program by:
a) Citizens of United Kingdom (passports indicating that the bearer is a British Subject, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas) Citizen, British Protected Person or holders of passports which states holder has Right of Abode or indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom do not qualify for visa free travel)
b) Citizens of Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland Rep, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland
For travel under the Visa Waiver Program – please see
a) the traveller is a citizen of one of the countries named above, travelling on a valid, individual machine-readable passport
b) travelling for business, pleasure or transit stays for 90 days or less
c) if entering by air or sea is holding a return or onward ticket. If travelling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to Immigration at port of entry. Travellers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas
d) be entering aboard an air or sea carrier that has agreed to participate in the Visa Waiver Program
e) be in possession of a completed form I-94W, obtainable from airline & shipping companies
f) or, if entering by land from Canada or Mexico be in possession of a completed form I-94W, issued by the immigration authorities at the port of entry plus a USD 6 fee, payable in USD only

1) Children require individual visas. Old style visas which were issued to bearer & covered all those named in the passport are no longer issued
2) Some travellers are not eligible by law to enter the US. These include people with criminal records, certain serious communicable illnesses, previous deportations from the United States, previous overstays on the Visa Waiver Program & certain other problems. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Such travellers may not travel visa-free & must apply for special visas. If they attempt to travel without a visa, they will be refused entry into the United State.

If you have visited Cuba at all – at any time and not even with the same passport, you are no longer eligible to use an ESTA for entry to USA and will require a full visa.

USA made Cuba a State of Terrorism in January 2021 but this rule applies even if you travelled before this date

Air Transit

Required by all except:
Travellers who qualify for visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program. Application for entry is made on arrival/departure form I-94W provided by the airline or shipping company. If transiting the United States to a destination in Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands, the traveller may re-enter the United States on the return journey using any mode of transport, as long as the total visit, including both periods of time spent in transit & in Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands, does not exceed 90 days. If transiting to a destination outside of Canada, Mexico, or the adjacent islands, the return journey must be on a participating carrier, but need not be within 90 days, as the traveller will be required to make a new application for admission & therefore, required to complete a new arrival/departure for I-94W

Speak to a Travel Specialist

Call Us Free On

0800 270 0069

We go above and beyond to make your holiday perfect

Tailor Made for You

  • We tailor make every holiday made around you.
  • Tell us what you'd like to see, what type of accommodation you prefer and how you'd like to travel.
  • We'll plan your perfect holiday, helping you to get the most from your time and budget.

Expert Advice

  • We don't just know travel, we love it!
  • Our Travel Experts have travelled throughout the World. They'll answer your questions with facts not guesses.
  • You'll have a dedicated Travel Expert to look after each stage of your booking.

100% Protected

  • Part of the Stewart Travel group, We've been helping people explore the World for more than 30 years.
  • Every trip is 100% ATOL protected.
  • We're only ever a phone call away.